Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
My Reputation: Points: 7 / Power: 0
singlad is Cool - loads of Potential
Re: Any one try at Yangoon -Myammar before

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl View Post
Dont worry, you can book double occupancy with 1 name. If they do ask, tell them u are not sure who is your mate for the nite..

Yangon is very safe. This country is still using a cash transaction system ie no checks, no credit card.

Share with you a story. My company recently purchased a new Pajero 4D for my MD. The price in Myanmar is around USD320,000 ( due to taxes). Imagine the most common denomination is 1000kyats ( around USD1). We actually used 1 car to carry 21 PP plastic sacks of money to buy this Pajero.

When we arrive at the dealership, we were ushered in a room. There were 6 staff waiting to count the money. They took 2 hours.

All these while, from our office to the dealership, no bodyguard is required.

If u rob a rich looking people in Myanmar, u can expect to get much cash . Everyone carries cash there.
Thanks for your reply. I have a few more questions which I hope you can provide some answers.
1) Is it advisable to carry mostly US$ instead of Kyats since it is less bulky?
2) Does the average Burmese accept the US$ for purchases and is it legal to use US$ there?
3) Where is the best place to buy kyats ?
4) What do you do with the excess kyats before you leave Myanmar, can we change it back to US$ at close to the rate we buy?
5) Is it advisable to carry my passport at all times with me for checks by authorities ?
6) Is there any black areas that we should avoid while in Yangon and other popular tourist towns there?

I am grateful for your kind advice. Thank you.